Philippine President Benigno Aquino III or PNoy has chosen today, August 24,2012, the first even woman Chief Justice of the Supreme Court. She is former Associate Justice Maria Lourdes Punzalan Aranal-Sereno. Sereno is the 24th Chief Justice of this island nation. Chief Justice Sereno who got 6 votes from JBC was appointed by PNoy from among the eight (8) shortlisted nominees submitted by the Judicial and Bar Council (JBC) on August 13, 2012.
The other 7 nominees got 5 votes or more from the JBC are:
1. Acting Chief Justice Antonio Carpio - 7 votes
2. Associate Justice Roberto Abas - 6 votes
3. Associate Justice Arturo Brion - 6 votes
4. Representative Ronaldo Zamora - 6 votes
5. Associate Justice Teresita Leonardo De castro - 5 votes
6. Solicitor General Francis Jardeleza - 5 votes
7. Cesar Villanueva - 5 votes
Although dissatisfied with the list and accused JBC as unfair because his favored but disqualified Justice Secretary Leila De Lima was not on it, President Aquino has no choice but to pick the new Chief Justice before the deadline on August 27, 2012.